Taking Legal Action: Filing Contempt for Unpaid Child Support, Alimony, and Custody Agreements in Washington, D.C.

couple with divorce documents at table at home

Divorce proceedings involve several crucial aspects such as child support, alimony, and custody agreements. These agreements are legally binding and play a pivotal role in ensuring the well-being of both the children and the former spouses. Unfortunately, situations may arise where one party fails to fulfill their obligations, leading to significant disruptions in the lives of all parties involved. In Washington, D.C., like in many jurisdictions, there are legal remedies available for enforcing these agreements, and one such remedy is filing for contempt of court. This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide on how to file a contempt motion in Washington, D.C. when a former spouse fails to comply with child support, alimony, and custody arrangements.

Understanding Contempt of Court

Contempt of court refers to a legal action taken against a party who violates a court order, thereby undermining the authority and credibility of the court itself. In the context of family law, filing for contempt can be an effective means of ensuring compliance with child support, alimony, and custody agreements. By initiating this process, the aggrieved party seeks to hold the non-compliant former spouse accountable for their actions.

Gathering Evidence

Before proceeding with filing for contempt, it’s crucial to gather substantial evidence to support your claim. Documentation is key in these cases, so ensure you maintain records of:

  1. Child Support and Alimony Payments: Keep a record of all payments made and received, including copies of checks, bank statements, or money transfer records. This will help establish a clear pattern of non-compliance.
  2. Custody Arrangements: Maintain a diary of instances where the other parent has failed to adhere to custody schedules. Collect evidence of canceled visitations, unfulfilled pick-up or drop-off times, and any communication between you and your former spouse regarding custody.
  3. Communication: Save text messages, emails, or any other form of written communication discussing payment or custody arrangements. These can serve as strong evidence in court.
  4. Witnesses: If applicable, involve witnesses who can testify about the non-compliance or breach of agreements. These witnesses could include friends, family members, teachers, or childcare providers who have firsthand knowledge of the situation.

Consult an Attorney

Before taking any legal action, it’s advisable to consult an experienced family law attorney in Washington, D.C. The Law Offices of Thomas Stahl is one such entity that has proven experience with family law. They can provide valuable insights into your specific situation, guide you through the legal process, and help you understand the legal ramifications of filing for contempt. Schedule a consultation today by calling (202) 964-7280.

Filing the Contempt Motion

  1. Draft the Motion: With the assistance of your attorney, draft a motion for contempt outlining the specific violations, providing evidence, and requesting the court to hold the non-compliant former spouse accountable.
  2. File the Motion: Submit the motion to the appropriate court in Washington, D.C. Typically, this will be the court that issued the original child support, alimony, or custody order.
  3. Serve the Motion: Ensure that the non-compliant former spouse is properly served with the motion. This involves delivering the legal documents to them through a process server or law enforcement officer to guarantee they are aware of the proceedings.
  4. Court Appearance: After being served, the non-compliant former spouse has the right to respond to the allegations. The court will schedule a hearing where both parties present their arguments and evidence.
  5. Contempt Hearing: During the hearing, both parties will have the opportunity to present their case. The judge will consider the evidence, including documentation, witness statements, and any other relevant information. If the court finds the non-compliant former spouse in contempt, they may impose penalties or sanctions.

Potential Outcomes

The court has several options when dealing with contempt cases:

  1. Compliance Order: The court may issue a compliance order, instructing the non-compliant former spouse to fulfill their obligations within a specified timeframe.
  2. Contempt Sanctions: Depending on the severity of the violations, the court can impose fines, legal fees, or even jail time as a last resort. The court’s objective is to compel compliance rather than to punish, but in extreme cases, sanctions can be imposed.
  3. Modification of Agreements: If the violations stem from changed circumstances, the court might consider modifying the child support, alimony, or custody agreements to better reflect the current situation.


When a former spouse fails to meet their child support, alimony, or custody obligations, the affected party can take legal action by filing for contempt in Washington, D.C. Family courts take these violations seriously, as they impact the welfare of children and the integrity of the legal system. It’s essential to approach this process with a well-documented case and the assistance of an experienced family law attorney to ensure the best possible outcome for all parties involved.

Scroll to Top